Sunday, April 12, 2009

Downtown Chicago with the Anderson's!

Brett and I don't often go into the city. Brett goes more than me, but not really to just to sightsee. So while the Anderson's were here, we decided to do a little exploration! Gordon, Debby, Brett and I were staying at a hotel near O'Hare, so with brave hearts (mine) and Brett driving (always!) we headed off toward the Lake, just to see what we could see! This is one of the many skyscrapers in Chicago. I don't think it is the one where Oprah lives.
Busy streets!

Everything is so tall. I really looked like a tourist with my camera and head hanging out the window!
The Chicago Stock Exchange.


We eventually ended up in Chinatown where we ate dinner. This is a really cool Dragon gate. It is so pretty, the colors are so bright.

Very, very beautiful!

This is the square where they have all the statues of each of their Year of's...
We ate near here, in a resturant that had a hundred or more things on their menus. I had teryaki chicken, because I wanted to know what I was eating. They had cuttlefish on the menu, and lots of unknown items. The portions were HUGE, and the prices good. They also had smoothies, which included asparagus and bean. I didn't do the smoothies.

Lots of little shops surround the square. It was a really nice evening. I want to go back when the shops are open. We also drove through the Jewish part of town, Italian and Russian, I think. It is amazing the different cultures that are within Chicago. It made me think about the different ethnic groups that need Jesus. Right here, in this area, we could keep dozens of missionaries busy!

Brett is the year of the Tiger.

I am the year of the Rabbit. By the way, Rabbits and Tigers aren't supposed to marry. Well, somehow it works for us!

Debby Anderson, Year of the Ox

Gordon Anderson, Year of the Dragon.
We had a lot of fun with the Andersons. They have a huge sense of adventure and it was fun to go exploring with them. This was Debby's first trip to Chicago. I hope she comes back soon.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I love the architecture! So pretty!