Friday, April 3, 2009

Interesting Rest Areas

The boys and I recently took a road trip during spring break. We traveled across Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska until we came to Wyoming where we stopped at Kris and Thomas's. It was two really long days in the car, but along the way we discovered a couple of things about Iowa. First, they really like to put sculptures in their rest areas. Second, the trees are great for climbing! I guess Hughes donated the land??
Sam spotted this tree and had to play squirrel. He is a master tree climber. Andrew followed him and the dog watched from the ground!

My squirrels.

Sam was up about 25 or 30 feet. It was a great tree!

This sculpture had me puzzled for a bit until I figured out that it is corn. With weird things coming out the top. Things like fish and sunflowers. But my favorite was the pig, yes, a pig coming out of the top of the corn cob.

The pig is the last one on the right. I don't know, I mean, I "get" the sculpture, but well, it is just a little odd. No offense to the Iowan's who read this blog....

This is another, different rest area. I liked this one, it actually makes sense. A flower and "a place to grow". I get it.

The boys posed for lots of pictures. Sorry guys. You can tell Andrew is a bit frustrated with me.
As well he should be.

This was NOT in Iowa. This photo proves that Nebraska takes the prize for undecipherable statues. I don't get this at all. It looks a bit like something crashed into the ground and they just left it there. Sort of "Mad Maxish" or maybe Planet of the Apes...(the old movie) If anyone can explain this to me, I would be glad to hear it!
At any rate, we had a great trip across the great states of Iowa and Nebraska. I find the people really nice and friendly. The trucks on the interstate were a bit scary. They drive REALLY fast and it was a bit unnerving in my little car. But we made it. I listened to Sam play pokemon the whole way across Nebraska. Next time I bring the charger for my MP3.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

It looks tremendously flat! I would have such a hard time getting used to that! I don't think I could get used to that.