Saturday, August 15, 2009

Shippshewana, Indiana

This summer has been a busy one, with many places to go and see! I have had several wonderful trips, but the one with my sisters was probably one of the best. It is so nice to be able to spend time with your sisters when you are all grown up and friends!
We took a trip to Shipshewana, Indiana. Shipshewana is a town that is the home of a VERY LARGE Flea Market...I mean, HUGE! It is also the home of a large community of Amish people.
The auction took place in this building. I think I wandered around with my camera, but I seem to have forgotten to take pictures of the actual flea market.

Cherie and I took at least one picture together. It was a gorgeous day!
The Amish are a large part of the scenery around Shipshewana. They are an interesting people. We went to the museum that has the history of the Anabaptist, where the Amish, Mennonite and Hutterite claim their roots are. We, as evangelicals, also come from Anabaptist roots. It was a very interesting museum.
This is a familiar site. Cherie was really excited to see the horse and buggies. I have seen them before in Iowa, but it is really unusual to see parking lots with places to tie up your horse!



They ask you not to take pictures of the people themselves. So we snuck alot of pictures out of the car windows!

Part of the museum.

Part of the trip included the Quilt Gardens. Many people and businesses had planted flowers in a quilt pattern. You followed the map and could take pictures and enjoy the flowers. They were very beautiful.

This was a huge garden. Each site explained the quilt pattern chosen and what flowers were used.

Sue, Cherie and the trip Monkey. He is hard to see, but Sue is holding him.

This park was so beautiful. It was a lovely day. Just perfect weather.

This quilt garden was in memory of the woman's husband.

So pretty. I kept finding myself thinking "boy, mom would have loved this!" She and my grandma would have loved to see the flowers and quilt patterns. It was a great trip with my sisters. AND we actually made it home through Chicago and a terrible rainstorm! Cherie is a great driver and has perfected the "Fletcher Move".


No comments: