Wednesday, October 22, 2008

IOWA - what a state!

I decided to try to use bigger images, hopefully some of the detail will be easier to see.
Brett and I went on a road trip last week to Iowa to see a missionary friend down there. We left the boys at home alone, thankfully Sam handled everything and Andrew did great on his own, so we had a good time and didn't worry about them.
Iowa is really pretty, it is harvest time, lots of combines out on the fields. It is rolling hills and corn, lots and lots of corn. AND for some reason, lots of cemetaries and funeral homes. I kept admiring these really neat victorian houses only to discover that they were funeral homes!
This is taken from a rest area right across the border of Illinois and Iowa. The river is the Mississippi River. I can hardly believe that I live East of the Mississippi River. I NEVER thought I would. But then, I am doing alot of things I never thought I would.

Okay, yes, this is a water tower. EVERY town has one. But as Brett and I were getting gas we noticed something interesting about this particular town. The name of which is MONTEZUMA. I believe the residents call it Monte. Who can blame them?


If you look closely, you can see the "Welcome to Montezuma" banner. But I am not sure you can see the name of the store beneath the banner.





Yep, it is the PIT STOP! Okay, I thought it was funny...get it ...."Montezuma's Revenge" and the "Pit Stop".....Okay, maybe not hilarious, but Brett laughed....

We came up with all sorts of town motto's
"Welcome to Montezuma...don't drink the water"
Welcome to Montezuma...where revenge is sweet"
Okay, you get the idea...
MOVING ON...


We ate at a restuarant called "The Machine Shed". It was really nice. The waitresses all wore overalls. They are famous for their apple tarts and of course, their very LARGE Corn.



This little guy was trekking across the sidewalk at a rest area. He was so cute. I had to try out the macro lens on my camera. Hmm, Bretts tennis shoes are looking a little worn.

Brett and I are realizing the privilege that we have to serve here in the midwest. This really is the heartland of America. People are all friendly and interested in life around them. We get to have a new adventure here, out of our comfort zone, surrounded by new sights and things to do. It is exciting, scary and fun all at the same time. I hope that someday we can share this adventure with some of you! Come and visit and we can show you some of the greatest corn fields and funeral homes around!


No comments: