Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Pumpkin Patch!

On Saturday, we all drove down to Rock Falls to the big pumpkin patch/haunted house. We weren't sure how it would go and let's just say, it was very interesting. We got all the way to the place and then Andrew had a meltdown, for reasons that were rather funny, when we thought about it later (and because it would embarrass him, I won't talk about here!) For those of you who are not initiated in the ways of meltdowns...lets just say, it is a good thing I don't embarrass easily... They had some really neat-o mini pumpkins and gourds. They were so pretty with the sunshine and bright colors.
The petting zoo was pretty fun too. I really thought the pigs were cute, but I wouldn't want one for a pet. The little black one was a, well, a "pig" about his food. The pink one had the cutest little tail that went around in circles.

We now know why they call them "pot bellied pigs". You can see how fast the black pig's tail is moving! Wheee!



There were ducks....can you say "aflack!"?


Mr. and Mrs. Peacock had their own cage. Mrs. really does blend into the background, but she was really pretty shades of brown and gold.



Andrew in a happier moment. He really liked the scarecrow. Kept sticking his hand inside the scarecrows pumpkin head. Hmmm...?

Is your mama a Llama? Check out the eyelashes! Maybe it's Maybelline?


yes, yes, I know...He is 15....but I made him....




The bus was his idea, however!



Sam and Jerry Gourd....Look at all Jerry's brothers on the ground behind him...Asher would have loved these!



Lots and lots of pumpkins!


Are we having fun yet? Well, Sam and I were...not Andrew. Those are our pumpkins in the wagon. Now they are sitting on my kitchen counter waiting to be carved.




You know those stories about corn and spooky things? Well, I caught a picture of an alien coming out of the corn. Sort of reminds me of War of the Worlds...
Wait...is that Tom Cruise?

I really think this is the most sincere pumpkin patch. I sat in the car waiting while the boys went through the haunted house. ( I do not deliberately put myself in places where things jump out at me!) But I didn't see the Great Pumpkin.
I was trying out my night setting on my camera. It took me some time, but I figured out how to get a picture of the really spooky pumpkins. I used the night setting, balanced the camera on the door of the car and used a 3 second timer. It worked pretty good.
I don't have pictures of the haunted house, but I guess it was pretty fun. Andrew liked it too. Brett tried to keep track of him and almost lost him in the dark. Sam said Andrew kept talking to the people trying to scare him saying things like "back off". Sam got spooked a couple of times, but generally it was a pretty tame haunted house. It was fun to do something together as a family, even though it started out pretty rough. It would have been fun to have Nick and Alena, Kris and Thomas here too.
I think it is normal for me to want my chicks all around me. But I really miss them this time of year. I think because of the holidays coming up. And of course, there isn't anyone around to frost the sugar cookies....













3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I love your photos..they are really nice...

Anonymous said...

I love your photos.
Thank you very much for sharing.
Meet me at
http://gwb-chinese.blogspot.com/

Kim Pace said...

Asher would have had fun. He just decorated a little pumpkin.