Friday, October 3, 2008

A Quilt for my mom...

I wanted to put these pictures up awhile ago, I just forgot. I started making this quilt about 2 years ago. I had just gone to see my mom, as it turned out, for the last time. She was still able to visit and was pretty coherant. That was in December of 2006. She went to be with the Lord in March of 2007. My mom loved to quilt. She loved beautiful things. She loved the color purple. When I went home in December, after spending time with her, I started making this quilt. This was my first one. I made each square first, then when she died, I stopped. All the embellishments were from mom's stash. Some of the fabric is from Kris's prom dress, some from Kim and Jason's wedding. It took me a long time to want to put the quilt together. It felt like it might mean that she was really gone, that I would be finished with the whole process.


I got back from conference and realized that I wanted, no, needed to finish the quilt and hang it up to share with others. I think it turned out pretty nice.

I miss my mom every day. I sometimes still forget that I can't call her up and visit. I know that she is with Jesus, and is no longer in pain. I wish that she could have been here for Kristine's wedding, she would have loved Thomas. I wish she could see Sam play in the band and Andrew graduate from high school. My mom loved her family. Sometimes she drove us all crazy, but she loved me, she was proud of all of us and she was a great mom. I owe alot of who I am today because of who she was.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

What a fantastic quilt. It's great, not just because it is pretty, but because of the story behind it. I hope you can smile and remember wonderful things about your mom when you look at it.

Emmy said...

I'm so glad you were able to finish it! You did a great job! I do pray God would use it to bless you in your new home on a daily basis and that others will be blessed as you share about your Mom and all the memories put into it :)!!

Unknown said...

Oh, Cindy, I am so glad tat you finished this quilt - your post and the pictures made me cry! *hugs* I only met Grama Shirley once, but I could tell that she was a wonderful woman, and I have to tell you that it didn't stop with her - you're an amazing woman too, and I am incredibly blessed to know you, and better yet to be in your family!