Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Christmas Spirit...

I haven't had much Christmas spirit lately. I think it is because of the move, being away from family and the general "blah" I have felt lately. I decided I better try something to get some spirit, so I decorated my house....didn't work. I made cookies...didn't work. I shopped a little...really didn't work. So, I sat down and wrote Christmas cards. That helps - I remember people and things that happen and it makes me feel better, but I still wasn't in the mood. So I watched a movie. I spent two hours one afternoon watching "The Nativity". Although the movie isn't completely accurate, it is the best movie about the birth of Christ that I have seen. It was a good reminder of the reason we celebrate Christmas. My favorite characters in the movie are Joseph and Elizabeth. Joseph is such an honorable man. And I love the part where Mary washes his feet while he is asleep and tells her unborn child that he will have an honorable man to raise Him and that Joseph will always put other people first.
Being the romantic that I am, I love to watch these two people fall in love on the journey to Bethlehem.
Elizabeth (and the wonderful actress who portrays her) is my absolute favorite. She is so amazing and when she greets Mary the lines are right out of the Bible. That scene is so powerful and I think it is because it is God's Word.
Needless to say, watching this movie made my Christmas Spirit a little brighter. I highly recommend it. The music is marvelous and the photography is wonderful. There are lighthearted moments that just prove to me that Mary and Joseph were human, just like me. Yet they were faithful to take the gift that God had given them and trust Him to see them through it. It is a powerful movie. Take the time to watch it.
No pictures to post, but check out Brett's blog www.brettbelleque.blogspot.com
He has some new pictures on there.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I bought that movie from my work last week. I'm going to try to get Nick to watch it with me Christmas morning, over breakfast (hopefully, home cooked breakfast will induce him to humor me in this). For some reason, he is convinced he won't like it! :O

Debbie said...

Jason and Kim gave us that movie. We finally watched it last year. It is really good! I just let it sit around for about a year. What a dope!
I'm having a hard time "feeling festive and Christmasy". I think it's because the little boys aren't here. I haven't baked anything yet. Maybe that will help. But, I have the tree up, I've been listening to Christmas music, I'm part of a secret-santa thing the teachers at Big Sky are doing, Our presents are individually wrapped so it will look like we actually have some, and we'll be spending Christmas at my brother's because his daughter will be here from CA. Who understands these things!